Saturday 23 August 2008

Strong Women

I'm sitting here thinking about the women I know and their strength of character. What brought this to mind was reading Amy's blog and reading her thoughts about Christina Applegate. At first I thought, yes, Christina is strong because she's an actress; perhaps she is just acting. Then I started to think of the conversations I have had over the past few weeks with people, women, who are going through extraordinary experiences. Barbara, a long lost friend from growing up, lost her husband a few weeks ago; he wasn't in great health but he certainly wasn't sick enough to suspect that he would die. Then there is Linda, her daughter was a dog walker, 33 years old, lived in San Francisco. Robyn took some dogs for a walk, fell down/passed out, several hours later, dead. Robyn practiced yoga, ate healthy, who would think this would happen. Linda is picking up the pieces, going back to her yoga and living her life. Marcia, has nursed her husband through cancer for the past year. Jeffrey had just retired and their plan was to do some traveling; within months he was diagnosed with cancer. Marcia is a community activist, she is picking up the pieces and continuing her life. How do these people do it? When I spoke to Barbara today she summed it all up..."Life is not easy; this is what its about, now I have to go through this alone and come out the other side. I know it will be tough but I have to do it myself, you can't help me." Wow, talk about strong! In my heart of hearts I pray I will never have to go through these things but who am I kidding...this IS life and you've got to suck it up and go on with it or you can spend the rest of your life in your bed with the covers over your head!

No comments: