Wednesday 9 April 2008

Caldas da Rainha

This is an interesting city north of where we are staying. The R in the last part of the name is interesting; it is pronounced like a ch in Hebrew. It is amazing the many influences on the Porteges language CdR was a draw for me because they are the only city in the area that has an outdoor market. The day started off in a panic since I had a cab picking me up at 9:30 and I overslept until 9:50; not a fun way to start the day. I dressed and ran down to the entrance of the hotel, ate something in the car and started my adventure. The day started off pleasant enough, no rain! I strolled through the market where there were all root vegetables and fruits of the region; there were strawberries the size of small golf balls and the most Delicious color red! There were stalls with olives and cheeses; again wish I could bottle the aromas! Then I started to wander around to find some pottery stores. I knew I was pushing my luck because within minutes the rains started and this time it was like a small monsoon! I found a pottery store but they wouldn't take a credit card so had to find an ATM. Went back in the teeming rain (should I say swam back???). the woman was so happy to see me, I may have been the sale of the week. She wrapped up my purchases, went into the back and gave me an umbrella; then walked me to the door and opened the umbrella for me. Oh yes, she also wrapped my camera in a plastic bag so it wouldn't get wet! Amazing, just like home...NOT!!! I stopped for lunch before meeting my cab. Things here are so very expensive because of the weakness of the dollar. Lunch, on the other hand, I thought was a good buy. They served me a large bowl of a fish stew (that salted cod but it was not salty)that had potatoes, tomatoes and spices in it. Delicious! I asked for some vegetables; they served me a large head of broccoli that was prepared perfectly; bright green and still a little crunchy! I also ordered a bottle of water; the bill was a grand total of 7.50 euros; I thought a pretty good deal!

In the afternoon the TNS group went on an organized tour of Obidos with booklets that had questions are the area. At dinner there was a game with groups to see who had the most correct answers. We also went on a tour and tasting at a winery. From what I hear the wine was very good.

We'll see what tomorrow's adventures turn out to be!

1 comment:

Amy K said...

So brave of you to travel alone. That meals does sound yummy.