Wednesday 7 January 2009

Beautiful Weather In Conencticut...NOT!!!

Well, it is January so having, snow, sleet, rain and whatever else should be expected...doesn't mean I have to like it! Last night I had an interesting adventure...I left a meeting at the JCC at 10:00 with freezing rain steadily falling. The parking lot was a sheet of very thin ice, however, negotiable (thanks to a friend for giving me a ride to my car!). There was not a city truck in site so, of course, those of you who know Quarry Road will know I was getting concerned about getting up the hill. Well, Newfield Avenue wasn't bad...a few slippery spots but not bad, first part ok! When I turned onto Quarry I thought this doesn't seem so bad, made it up the first hill fine! Second part ok! Then I started up the second part of the hill...seemed to be doing ok...hmm, what was that car parked on the left side of the road, with its lights on, just sitting there...poor things, they must be afraid to go down the hill, not me, I'm just zooming up the hill...UNTIL my car started to go sideways and then slowly started sliding down the hill. Good news, I did not hit the car on the left (I found out later they had done a 360 on the hill!). Well, now that I had my foot almost through the floor boards on the brake, I had to figure out what to do...I'm across the road and what do I see but a car deciding to come up the hill!!! I put down my window, waved my arms, blew my horn to get the person to stop but they kept coming, UNTIL they were about 3 feet further up the hill than I was and then, they stopped! (well, truthfully, it made me feel better they couldn't get up...I thought it might have been just me!). So, I called 911 and told them of my problem, they asked if I had been in an accident, I said not yet! So, they said they would be coming...not sure when so I sat there waiting. Eventually (you know it felt like hours!) two young guys came; pushed my car around and watched as I slided to the bottom of the hill and was able to get the car into Blue Rock! Now the challenge was to walk home...David, had come down to meet me by this time, however he was on the other side of the street and getting across the street was impossible! Somehow David made it over to me and we slid, he was going to go home for his ice skates! Well, walking on the snow on the grass worked and, eventually two city trucks came. One didn't have chains and could barely make it up the hill...that made me feel much better! After the road was salted one of the young guys came and drove us home! What an adventure. The good news is, nobody was hurt! That in itself was a miracle! So, how many days until Spring????

No comments: