Wednesday 29 October 2008

Mah Jongg Gods Are Smiling


Mah Jongg is a game similar to rummy, played with tiles rather than cards. In China the game is popular among men; there are MJ parlors and, from what I understand, the winnings can get pretty big (that's another way of saying you can loose a lot if you're not careful!). Here in the States the game has been adopted by Jewish women for some reason! I can still hear the tiles being swished around by my mom and her friends and the call of bam, crack and dot as they throw out the tiles! For those of us who were raised with the game it seemed that it was an easy, no brainer game...not as challenging as Bridge...so I, for one, never picked it up. We all knew how to play since Mom taught us so she would be able to play! Well, a few years ago, when Bridge was getting painful to play because the cards were so bad, our Bridge game switched over the MJ! Well, now I've been bitten by the bug! I LOVE to play! As is true of any game of chance, some days you can do no wrong; other days you should just walk in, put your money on the table and have fun! Well, not to scare the MJ gods away; this seems to be a good few days for me; I'm winning. I'm sure in the next few days I'll be crying the blues again about how I NEVER win!

No comments: